One of the things I've been realizing since I arrived here is how quickly I'd forgotten how American I am. And I don't mean the typical defining characteristics of the American tourist like the clothes I wear or my immature Spanish accent or my overly exaggerated American facial expressions and ridiculous hand gestures. Those things I accepted about myself a long time ago. What I've become keenly aware of is my American mindset. I spent the past couple of weeks in non-stop prep mode for this trip. Which was added to my usual schedule of being practically everywhere at once. Which normally, is the way I like it. That kind of full week always gives me a feeling of accomplishment and purpose and productivity. But here, where the national slogan is "mañana," and everyone is on vacation, no one answers to a schedule.
Yesterday, my first full, lucid day in Spain, I woke up ready to take on the city. If you know me, you know I've been reading my Mallorca guidebook since May and that it's currently color-coded, highlighted, and marked with (super American-looking) neon post-it flags. And I wanted to start checking off my list. The night before when I called home, my mom so kindly recommended that I simply relax and take it easy because I had no where to go, no timetable to keep. And I decided to take that advice, but it was so much harder than it sounds. I spent a few hours at the hotel pool instead of rushing into the city, but my brain refused to turn off. I kept having the feeling that there was somewhere I needed to be, something I needed to do. But there wasn't. I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. And I just had to keep taking deep breaths all day to remind myself of this. Apparently, America can really screw with your head.
I've learned pretty
quickly that the concept of time here is a mere suggestion. I first noticed
this at the hotel breakfast yesterday which, according to my room information
pamphlet, ends at 10:30am. In my jet lagged fog, I woke up at about 9:45 and
rushed through my morning routine so as not to miss breakfast--mt first fresh meal of the trip. I made it
shortly after 10 and was amazed not only at how many people arrived at
breakfast along with me, but at how many people showed up long after I did. And
had no problem taking their time to eat. I've stayed at plenty of
hotels in my life and I can distinctly remember showing up to continental
breakfast just before the end time and the hotel staff had already started
removing the fresh food and empty coffee carafes. Points for Spain.
The American in me came
out later on when I began to search for a way to figure out the time. There is
no clock in my hotel room. Which I didn't think much about until after I'd picked up a mini travel one at
the store. There is also no clock or time displayed in any other part of the
hotel or pool area or nearby mall. Which was initially frustrating since I can't
tell day from night at the moment, but I eventually realized that this wasn't
an oversight or a way to save on hotel expenses. There aren't any clocks
because no one (except the insane American) is ever looking for the time. Time
does not exist. I'm on an island. In the Mediterranean. And I am finally accepting this
fact, starting now.
I did get into the city part of the island today, and it is beautiful. I plan to write about it and post pictures within the next day or so. It's late here, and I just witnessed my first enormous "island bug" which is another story for tomorrow. Mañana . I like the sound of it already.
No comments:
Post a Comment