My school is located directly across the street from the King's Palace. Not the palace I mentioned in a previous post, so I am assuming that the King can afford more than one pad. Our organizer said that in the past, the King and his possy have come to stay at the palace and he's sent his "people" over to the school to ask for a list of all those attending classes, as well as our passport ID numbers. He didn't say why, but I'm assuming it's a security measure. Why else would the King care about us? Also, how crazy is it that I'm living in a country run by a monarch? That's a first. The school, which is about a 20-minute walk from my hotel, is on a corner, and on the side adjacent to the palace is the beach! We've been bringing our swim stuff to school, changing right after class, and spending the afternoons in the sun. I can only assume that this is the sort of thing you do if you live in Florida or Hawaii, but not Central Jersey. So I am thrilled about this, to say the least. Also, the beach looks like this!
And speaking of the beach, did you know that the Spanish are super self-conscious about saying that word in English because of a another very different English word that sounds a lot like "beach?" Just a fun fact.
I've been spending most of my time with TCNJ students who I know or recognize from my classes this past year. However, at least half of the students in my class during this first session are either from other countries originally, or from the states but currently live and teach in foreign countries. Said countries include Indonesia, China, India, Turkey, Argentina, Kuwait, and Norway. It's been so cool to hear their stories and learn from their experiences. There are fifteen students in my class, and a broad spectrum of ages, but we've all bonded pretty quickly after just two days.
It's getting to be past my bedtime here so I'm about to sign off. Not entirely sure when I'll get to post again but hopefully, by the end of the weekend. Hasta luego!
No comments:
Post a Comment